The Pearl Condos Team
December 12, 2018
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Account Log-In

About the Pearl

1845
Asa Lovejoy from Massachusetts and Frances Pettygrove from Maine, flipped “the coin”, on view at The Historical Society, to decide whether the settlement called “The Clearing” on the bank of the Willamette River would be named Boston or Portland.
1850
Captain John Couch files his donation land claim to 640 acres, eventually known as Couch’s Addition, the southern boundary being present day Burnside St., the northern boundary running beyond today’s Fremont Bridge, the eastern boundary being the Willamette River and the remainder of the land encompassing what we refer to as Northwest Portland. He began developing along the river, platting his streets on an angle with the streets of Portland, squaring it with a bend in the river and reserving 5 narrow blocks for parks.
1851
Portland is incorporated with just over 800 residents, but by 1864 the population is 6,068. Pedestrians and wagon traffic compete on mud streets covered with planks.
1864
Weinhard Brewery, oldest continuously operating brewery west of the Mississippi is built and remains in continuous operation to 1999. Today we refer to this building and its immediate proximity as The Brewery Blocks.
1869
Captain John Couch dedicated a portion of his land to the city of Portland for the North Park Blocks. Much of this area was residential with modest homes at that time.
1870
Oregon Central Railroad line was built, running north from the wharfs in Couch’s Addition through what was later to become the Northwest Industrial Triangle and establishing Portland as a Northwest center of trade and commerce. A neighborhood of immigrants and workers grew around the factories, workshops and warehouses as trade and commerce grew in Portland. In the 1870’s, as land prices boomed, Couch’s Addition showed the largest increase; it was reported to have increased as much as 50%-100% per year. The land had appreciated in 22 years from almost nothing to approximately $330,000.
1887
Portland Cordage Company was established at 1318 NW Northrup and was built to manufacture hemp rope to rig the sails of the ships in port. Now the site of Bridgeport Brewing Company one of the Pearl’s 3 Breweries.
1888
The Steel Bridge was built by the railroads to carry goods across to the eastside docks and was the first steel bridge west of the Mississippi.
1889
Portland Armory was built as a single room structure, to many it was built like a fortress, originally developed and constructed by Multnomah County to house the local units of the Oregon National Guard. As of 2007 it became the Gerding Theatre, home of Portland Center Stage.
1891
Pacific Coast Biscuit Co. Building was established at 1101-1129 NW Davis and served as a bakery making crackers from approximately 1891-1954.
1895
McCracken Rapid Transfer Co. building at 905 NW Irving was established and is now the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center, known as the Ecotrust Building.
1896
Union Station at 800 NW 6th was built. Considered to be a gracious Italian Renaissance building and to many the finest train station in the West. It was built after the rail connection linking Portland to the east coast was completed in the 1890’s, bringing even more manufacturing, warehouses and industry to this northwest end of the city.
1899
Portland’s first electric street car carried passengers across the Steel Bridge to the Albina Neighborhood/District.
1900-25
The streets of NW Portland are paved during this time and the automobile arrives in Portland not long after Henry Ford presented it to the world.
1900
Modern Confectionary Building at Hoyt and 13th is built. Now it serves as the Modern Confectionary Lofts, with retail on the ground floor and less than a dozen high end lofts above.
1901
The US Customs House at 220 NW 8th is built.
1903
The Honeyman Hardware Co. at 832 NW Hoyt is built. Today it is known as the Honeyman Hardware Lofts (Lofts for rent).
1905
The Lewis and Clark Exposition, honoring the 100th year of Lewis and Clark’s Expedition. By this time there were 150 street cars per hour, taking passengers up to the Lewis and Clark Exposition and the population of Portland more than doubled between 1905 and 1913 (from 111,000-206,000). Portland was then ranked second in the nation in wheat exports with lumber, manufacturing and shipping being the largest wealth producers. Seventy steam railroad trains and 164 electric trains ran in and out of the city each day, not including the freight trains, with an average of 10 ships tied up at the docks each day. In the Northwest Industrial Triangle, the spur lines of the railroads branched off to serve the increase in manufacturing demands. Today many of the loading docks used at that time, remain outside their original buildings, especially on NW 13th and 14th.
1905
The City Lofts was built.
1908-09
The North Bank Depot Buildings were built at 1029-1035 and 1101-1120 NW Hoyt. They were built for the Oregon Electric Railroad. The brick railroad warehouses were converted in 1996 and 2000 to the Pearl Townhomes at 601-637 NW 11th, what at least 2 of our team members consider to be the nicest condos in the Pearl.
1909
The Crane Plumbing Company established themselves at NW 14th and NW Irving, with loading docks on NW 13th. Built originally as an office, sales center and warehouse, today’s Crane Building is now home to hip retail, office and apartments with 2 penthouses condos under ownership. The loading dock for the building on NW 13th is arguably one of the most “sceney” spots in the Portland today.
1909
North Park Lofts at 300 NW 8th were built.
1910
Marshall Wells Company Warehouse #2 at 1420 NW Lovejoy as built. Today it is home to the Marshall Wells Lofts.
1911
The Oregon Transfer Co. Warehouse Nos. 1 and 2 located at NW 13th between NW Flanders and Glisan was established. Today the building is known as the Chown Pella Warehouse Lofts at 416 NW 13th. It was converted to condos in 1996.
1913
The Broadway Bridge was built. The Lovejoy ramp was later added in 1927 to carry more automobile traffic up NW Lovejoy past NW 10th. It was then torn down in the 1990’s and replaced to open up more blocks for development. Two of the remaining columns of that ramp, painted by railroad watchman Tom Stefopoulos, stand in the plaza of The Elizabeth Lofts.
1915
The Desoto Building, a Desoto-Plymouth dealership, on today’s National Register as the Lombard Automobile Buildings together with The Daisy Kingdom Building were built. They were converted in 2007 to include Contemporary Crafts Museum.
1920
The Otis Elevator Co. Bldg. at 230 NW 10th is built.
1921
The building which houses today’s Flanders Street Lofts is built.
1923
The Meier and Frank commercial building at 323 NW 13th is built. In 2007/2008 it began being converted to the Block 90 condos.
1924
The building which houses today’s Irving Street Lofts at 1314 NW Irving is built.
1923
The Meier and Frank Warehouse at 1400 NW Irving is built. Today it is The Avenues Lofts building.
1926
The Burnside Bridge opens to allow more auto traffic to the docks and businesses on the east side.
1927
The Meier and Frank Delivery Depot at 1417 NW Everett is built.
1935
The Wolfard Motor Company opens for business at 12th and Couch. From the early 1900’s, there were many automobile dealers and repair shops in this general area. For example, Powell’s Books on Burnside and NW 10th is in a former auto dealership building.
1964
The USPS built the main processing facility for all of Oregon and SW Washington next to Union Station. As of 2008, the Portland Development Commission opened negotiations to buy the site, move the Post Office and open up more land for development
1973
The Fremont Bridge is built. Today’s northern skyline backdrop of The Pearl.
1973-75
In the early 70’s, Michael Powell’s father, Walter, replicated his son’s successful Chicago used bookstore in a former car dealership on Burnside. Powell’s Books is now a Portland icon and, by some accounts, the largest bookstore in the US.
1980’s
Artists began to migrate into the Northwest Industrial Triangle, drawn by low-cost lofts and open, empty spaces. Galleries began to open and early, visionary investors began buying up the old buildings and converting them into living spaces. Blackfish Gallery was one of the first studios to open at this time.
1982
McCormick Pier Apartments was built on the river off of Naito Parkway. (later converted to condos in 2003) The district’s first art gallery, Northwest Artist’s Workshop, opened at 622 NW 12th.
1984
Victoria Frey of Quartersaw Gallery and Sheryl Snow of Blackfish Gallery, opened their studios for business.
1987
Frey and Snow organized the first gallery walk on a Saturday afternoon in September of 1987. 70 artists opened their private studios to the public. By the late 80’s, there were as many as 150 artists living and working in the Pearl.
1988
Pullian Deffenbaugh Gallery opens for business.
1989
Honeyman Hardware Lofts, located at 514 NW 9th, originally built in 1903, is converted to lofts in 1989. Local director, Gus Van Sant, shot several scenes of his film, Drugstore Cowboy in the Pearl.
1994
Hoyt St Properties acquires 34 acres of the original Burlington Northern Rail Yards and begins a $600M urban redevelopment project.
The Pearl Lofts building is built at 1009 NW Hoyt
The City Lofts at 1011 NW Glisan, originally built in1905 is converted to lofts
1995
The Irving Street Townhomes at 1107-1135 NW Irving are built.
The Irving Street Lofts at 1314 NW Irving, originally built in 1924, is converted to lofts
1996
The Hoyt Commons located at 618 NW 12th is built.
The Pearl Townhomes located at 602-636 NW 11th, originally built in 1908 is converted to Townhomes.
The Chown Pella Lofts located at 416 NW 13th, originally built in 1911 is converted to condos.
1998
Riverstone East and West located at the 800 block of NW 10th and 11th are built.
The McKenzie Lofts located at 408 NW 12th is built.
The Flanders Street Lofts located at 725 NW Flanders, originally built in 1921 is converted to condos
1999
Blitz Weinhard Brewery, in operation since 1864, was purchased by Miller Brewing and shut down. It was later sold for redevelopment as The Brewery Blocks. Construction cranes accent the skyline and the sounds of drill hammers become the back beat of daily life in The Pearl.
Modern Confectionary Lofts located at 1240 NW Hoyt, originally built in 1900 is converted to condos.
2000
Jamieson Square opens. Today there is little question this is the most popular fountain among children under 10.
2000
Tanner Place on NW Johnson, between NW 10th and 11th goes on the market.
Johnson Street Townhomes located at 1100-1199 NW Johnson goes on the market.
Park Northwest Condos located at 327 NW Park goes on the market.
Pearl Townhomes, located at 601-637 NW 11th goes on the market.
North Park Lofts, located at 300 NW 8th, originally built in 1909 is converted to condos.
The Marshall Wells Lofts, located at 1420 NW Lovejoy, originally built in1910 is converted to condos.
2001
The Streetcar opens.
The Streetcar Lofts located at 1030 NW 12th goes on the market.
The Gregory, located at 420 NW 11th goes on the market.
The Old Town Lofts, located at 411 NW Flanders goes on the market.
Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center opens. Built in 1895 and known as the Ecotrust Building, it is the first historic building, nationwide, to receive the LEED Gold rating
2003
Tanner Springs Park, the next extension of the North Park Blocks opens.
The Bridgeport Condominiums located at 1133 NW 11th and 1130 NW 12th goes on the market.
McCormick Pier on Naito Parkway is converted to condos.
2004
Park Place Condos, located at 922 NW 11th goes on the market.
The Edge, located at 1410 NW Kearney goes on the market.
The Henry, located at 1025 NW Couch goes on the market.
Lexis on the Park, located at 1125 NW 9th, originally built as apartments in 2004, is converted to condos in 2005.
The Avenue Lofts, located at 1400 NW Irving, originally built in 1923, is converted to condos
2005
The Pinnacle, located at 1255 NW 9th goes on the market.
The Elizabeth, located at 333 NW 9th goes on the market.
2006
Riverscape, located north of the Fremont Bridge on NW Riverscape St. goes on the market.
2007
The Desoto Building, bounded by NW Broadway, NW Davis and NW Park opens for use as art galleries, including The Museum of Contemporary Craft.
2008
The Metropolitan, located at 1001 NW Lovejoy goes on the market.
The Waterfront Pearl, Azure and Mistral buildings are built on Naito Parkway.
937 Condos, located at 937 NW Glisan goes on the market.
The Encore, located at 949 NW Overton goes on the market.
The Casey, located at 311 NW 12th goes on the market.
Block 90, located at 323 NW 13th, originally built in 1923 is converted to condos.
Pacifica Tower, located at 1830 NW Riverscape St. goes on the market.
The Crane Lofts, located at 730 NW 14th releases two penthouses for sale.
As of 2008, The Pearl continued to flow north with 3 acres under consideration for development.
*The Wyatt, built as the most expensive units to arrive in The Pearl, falls victim to the economy and is converted to luxury apartments. As of 2008, The Pearl continued to flow north with 3 acres under consideration for development.
Learn more about the PearlCondos.com team
Email: info@pearlcondos.com
Home  |  Search Pearl Condos  |  Map Based Search  |  About The Pearl  |  Pearl Market News  |  Shop-Dine-Art  |  About Us
Buyer Advisory  |  Agency Disclosure  |  Terms  |  Privacy Policy  |  Contact Us  |  Blog

Copyright © 2018 Jim Arnal, PearlCondos.com
©2018 GraphicalData, Inc.   Site Map